Thursday, December 31, 2009

Looking Back on 2009


Like many I started 2009 worried that the difficulties of the previous year would be magnified and my situation would eventually become serious. In late 2008 my job had been eliminated (after 20+ years with the same company) and along with it the security of health insurance and a clear sense of who I was.

But early in 2009 I launched my own social media-strategy business,
Fixitology, began volunteering for the Ad Council of Rochester and began taking an online Master Certificate course in Internet Marketing through the University of San Francisco. Before the year was out I would have multiple businesses as clients of Fixitology, I’d be consulting for Brand Cool Marketing and I would take on a fulltime teaching position in the Communication Department at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

What a difference a year makes. I count myself extremely fortunate, but I also know that a transformative year like this will leave its mark on me forever. Here are the five things I will always remember about 2009:

Change The monumental change in the way people communicate and share called Social Media is so big that many have yet to grasp its significance. Like a tsunami, this wave of communication platforms is getting bigger and bigger. Many will not see this change for what it is until it is too late. I count myself fortunate to have begun engaging four years ago and really stepping up my involvement in 2009. And like a tsunami it’s never too late to try seek higher ground or a way to ride the wave. Here’s hoping most will “get it” in 2010.

Friendship – It used to fit a fairly narrow description in my life: the people I had known for a long time and wanted to spend time with. Through Social Media and groups such as the
Social Media Club of Rochester I have learned that a shared interest in any manner of things can lead to abiding friendships with people I once would not have had the opportunity to meet. I’ve also learned that by giving help where I can and whenever I can, I ultimately feel rewarded many times over.

Learning – This has been a continual process in my life, but it wasn’t until I took the visiting professor job at RIT that I realized how interwoven learning and teaching are. I went in thinking I would be teaching, but it turns out I’m doing as much learning – about life, about people and about the way people learn. For this I’m grateful to my students and my fellow faculty. A day doesn’t go by that I don’t get valuable insights.

Courage – This is not something I had ever consciously thought about, but it is something I’ve started to detect (either in its abundance or a lack thereof) in those faced by uncertainty or the unknown. While uncertainty faced many during the year some dealt with it by striking out in new directions; others by retrenching, waiting and hoping. When a client pointed out that they admired my courage for doing the former it was a great moment of self-realization. If that is courage (as opposed to, say, naive stupidity) then I’m glad I had it at this time in my life.

Optimism – I’ve always known that my positive take on most people and most situations was at odds with some of those around me. But this year when others started thanking me for seeing a difficult situation in a positive light - I realized that just being me was helping others to see things more positively. I thought about my maternal grandmother Hilmary Catton a lot this year … it was her attitude that came through in me during the year. My favorite saying of hers (and I am paraphrasing here): “Life – it sure beats the alternative!”

So, no matter what 2010 holds in store, for me 2009 will always the year of Social Media and self-realization.


4 comments:

  1. I really like how you have composed this post.
    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UEFA Dollar Cup 2012 is often a famous intercontinental football match hosted by simply Poland along with Ukraine, this tournament means to start off 8th July 2012 all of which will last until eventually 1st Come early july 2012. In this specific tournament it will have 16 solid nations competing to the Euro Glass 2012. www.scorespro.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ทางเข้าslot joker123 สามารถ เข้า ต้องการลงทะเบียนเป็นสมาชิก PG SLOT ตอนไหนก็ได้ สมัครได้เลย การลงทะเบียนสมัครสมาชิกแบบไม่จำกัดเวลา สล็อต ทำให้บรรดานักเล่นการพนันเยอะมาก Gaming

    ReplyDelete
  4. pgslot168 เป็นเกมแบบอย่างที่เล่นได้บนโทรศัพท์เคลื่อนที่สบาย ใช้งานง่าย PG168 มีเกมสล็อตให้เล่นอยู่มากมายเยอะแยะอาทิเช่น สล็อต สามารถใช้เป็นการพนันลงทุนเล่น เว็บไซต์สล็อต

    ReplyDelete